Moving on

Friday, November 23, 2007

08080000133 Bloody Vodafone!

Hello everyone!!!... This is the most viewed part of my blog, please stay and look at some of my other boring stuff... but also try this...

You are NOT alone

I had a Vodafone mobile phone when I was living in Spalding, but when I moved to Wales, I found it had hardly any signal here. I asked Vodafone if this was going to remain that way, and presumed it would...
I kept the mobile for a couple of reasons, 1. they conned me into an 18th month contract and 2. It was actually the only company that had a signal in the care home, so it had had some uses.
Recently, I have been leaving my ancient Nokia, plugged into the charger, as it no longer holds much charge, in my kitchen, where it never moves.
Now I decided to cancel the contract... I phoned, I wrote to them.. I explained.. I had a phonecall from them, asking why...
I explained again... but cancelled.
While I was away in Spain I got 34 missed calls on the phone... the few that left a number were 0808 numbers..
Today I got a silent call from 08080000133. no sound.. nothing. So I googled it, and boy! I am not alone.
I will never ever have another contract with Vodafone if this is the way they treat us.
http://www.jamieclague.co.uk/blog/2007/04/30/mobile-scammers/
http://davidcarrington.co.uk/2007/10/08/08080000133-vodafone-want-me-back/
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08080000133
http://www.whatmobile.net/forumvb/showthread.php?t=21527

How can a company think they will win customers that way?
It almost, but not quite, makes BT seem civilised.

It is now January 2009, I have been amazed at the global interest in just this tiny bit of my blog. I get people from all over the world googling this vodafone number and I have been curious as to why? Then it came to me. Vodafone are making money out of all you guys that move to other companies yet take the number with you. You call them back, maybe?
Also, the people who move away to countries far and wide and get UK 0800 numbers ringing them.. at their expense...
I guess the key is to NOT take a Vodafone number to another company. I hope the suggestion in the comments works, can someone let me know? My number has long gone, so I can't test that.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • Dial 08080000166 and request they remove your number. They will remove it and stop calling.

    Thanks Adam.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 02/12/2008, 10:31  

  • Thanks Adam, I am sure this will help others as this is my most visited blog page. I gave up my own number and I am now with O2. I will never ever use Vodafone again.

    By Blogger Sheila, at 02/12/2008, 11:37  

  • I am with vodafone and they still call me on this number!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 04/02/2009, 20:28  

  • I'm not with Vodafone, or ever have been and i've started getting calls from this number!

    All i did was register on the vodafone website for info on the N97!

    put me off Vodafone completely now after reading many of the comments.

    By Blogger snikt, at 25/06/2009, 13:02  

  • These telephone calls are from a third party company. As soon as you provide Vodafone with any personal info, whether through their website as an enquiry or via legally binding contract they essentially 'sell' it to whomever would find this data useful.

    The telephone calls are sent out from an automated processor, around 10 at a time (picked at random in constant quick fire sessions), the first person to pick up gets through to an operator, and the rest are just cut-off.

    Its an absolute infringement of privacy in my eyes. I had a friend who received this call up to an including 10 times a day - thats pretty bad luck!
    I used to work in telecommunication advertising and what you learn at the top would scare the living day lights out of most readers. These people literally know more about you and your user habits than your closest friend or family members. Official big brother.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 31/07/2009, 11:30  

  • Hey guys
    My name is Adam and i work for Vodafone.
    This number is a call from my own team and we offer better deals for customers like yourself for example freedom packs stop the clock ect..
    Because the call centre is an outbound only centre it doesnt allow customers like yourself to call in.
    If you ever get the chance to answer a call from the team you will see what im talking about.

    Thanks..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15/02/2010, 22:00  

  • Their proposal to retain my custom (two contract phones & three pay as you go phones) was as follows:

    To reduce the allowance on both contract handsets of 600 free minutes by 50% to 300 minutes and reduce the existing line rental per handset from £12.50 (inc VAT) to £10.00 (inc VAT).

    It became clear what was at play when he suggested that I downgrade the family pack from the group of six (there are five in my immediate family) to the group of four (yes, you read that right) for £5.00 (inc VAT) – it had obviously escaped his notice whilst "reviewing" my account that I am currently getting the group of six for no cost at all.

    Effectively, in real / monetary terms, he was “offering” to halve our existing free minutes allowance and knock one of our family off the free calls package in an attempt to retain our custom.

    I contacted their cancellations dept yesterday (May 5th) to see if they had taken note of my concerns raised in relation to this practice. I was amazed that the chap with whom I spoke was able to make an even more intelligence insulting "offer".

    His offer was two "FREE" Nokia X6 handsets (one for each expired contract) with a revised price plan.

    Currently the price plan for each contract hand set sits at £12.50 (inc VAT). So, for £25.00 all in, I was getting 600 free minutes and unlimited texts on each handset and free calls between all five Vodafone numbers under the Vodafone Family pack which I negotiated free 18 months ago.

    The Vodafone chap identified that this was not the most suitable price plan as I was using roughly only 200 minutes and sending approximately 20 texts per handset per month. "Fair enough" I thought, he suggested that a 300 minute plan with unlimited texts would suit me better. The only issue was that he wanted me to pay £25.00 per month price plan per handset!

    (I should point out that the free 500mb of mobile web & internet which the offer on the £25.00 deal is of no additional value to me as I already have this on my current plan)

    This is, of course, also available to new customers with no record of customer loyalty - as is the case with me stretching back over 10 years (seven with these numbers). To add insult to injury he also then suggested that I avail of the £7.00 family pack to be able to call between numbers for "Free" (since when did a £7.00. subscription constitute "free").

    So, in effect, what he was proposing was a 50% reduction in the number of free calls and a jump of 100% in monthly price plan (per handset) and a single (additional) £7.00 monthly subscription for something I am already getting for free.

    Lets do the maths on this over the 24 month plan as proposed:

    24 x 7 = £168.00
    24 x 25 = £600.00

    So the bottom line is that Vodafone think that I will be happy to forego 14400 free minutes per year ( that's 240 hours or 120 free hours of calls per phone) and pay them an extra £768.00 over that period in order to stay with them just because they use the phrase "Free handset".

    You couldn't make it up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 07/05/2010, 18:38  

  • just received a call from this number supposedly following up on a contact from my mother - only trouble is she died 6 years ago. complaints department were less than useless and said that they could/would not do anything as it would all be internal matter. It took over 90 mins before I got someone to take my complaint seriously.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19/04/2017, 21:23  

  • Fantastic information, well done to all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19/09/2021, 11:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home



info on stats
 
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter