Moving on

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Hot Pennies and Pram Race - Boxing Day

It has been a long tradition in Beaumaris and with the Bulkeley family, to enjoy yourself on Christmas day and then throw burning hot coins at the passing peasantry the day after. This does seem to smell of something rather nasty and class ridden, but it has been watered down a little to the present day, but still hot coins are aimed at children by the Mayor. I was glad not to have parked my car anywhere near here.

These pictures show the hotel where the mayor stood on the balcony and aimed his pennies at the poor kids beneath... I took this photo before it began.

But it makes a change for the kids, and it does seem a fun thing to do, to get some fresh air after all the 'excitement' of Christmas day.


A few minutes later, further down the high street began the Beaumaris pram race. I took pictures last year that can be found in Dec 2006 on this blog.

This year there were only 4 contenders, as the 5th group had suddenly been called out on an emergency, they were the Lifeboat crew.

I believe the team with the pram made to look like a tank won, but it looked like they all had fun, and I hope the charities did well.
Of course... there was the band...ok, Alice, you got a mention!!

~~~~~

Pram racers...

~~~~

~~~~

~~~~

~~~~



A good time was had by all...but more teams would have been nice!!
~~~~



~~~~


Each team was started at a different time, but this did seem to cause some confusion, at first..
~~~~


I have also found this link, on facebook - youtube, I hope you don't mind me posting this, Wyn..
click!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Is there a pram race going to take place this year 2008? What time? where does it start? how, do I take part? Not sure where to start looking, do I need to raise money?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 20/11/2008, 11:41  

  • As far as I know yes... in fact they wanted to make it more of an event than last year. But the Victorian evening seems to be top priority just now. I will ask around for you. So either email me (sheila_@btinternet.com) or pop in The George and Dragon and ask for Sheila and I will get times and stuff, if I can.
    Thanks, Anonymous.
    Sheila

    By Blogger Sheila, at 20/11/2008, 16:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home



info on stats
 
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter