Moving on

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Life and Dosbarth Cymraeg

I was chatting to a friend online a couple of nights ago and he was saying that he had enjoyed all Dandan's holiday travel stuff... but what was happening to me?
Not a lot, is the simple answer.
I seem to have settled into a routine of care for Mum, usually late mornings/afternoons and up to about 8 or 9pm. I cook meals, try to clean their house, deal with all Mum's more personal requirements and visit Dad in his care home. This is 7 days a week. I loose track of when a weekend happens, or rather, they are the most boring times as no Doctor visits, no nurses call and no appointments for anything. Mum is awaiting a brief trip into hospital to have a problem with her arm sorted. She had a scare a week or two back when she had a very heavy nose bleed, we spent a night in Ysbyty Gwynedd (Bangor Hospital) then. Dad has settled in to his care home, although he wants to come back home to a place he can't remember very well now. He is being assessed for dementia, but at 87 there is not much that can be done.
My brother is there for the night times and the mornings, but neither of us get much time to have our own lives. I am just more pushy than he is..
I am now still going to my Welsh classes. I have had 4 so far and I am learning a huge amount, and not just the weird lingo. I am the dunce of the class, and I think every teacher ought to be put in this position. I am not just being modest, I really am a long way behind everyone in my Welsh class. But, I am not ashamed of that. Most of the other students have lived in Wales for years, some are married to Welsh spouses. They usually work in Welsh speaking environments. I got here in June and only hear Welsh on Radio Cymru when I remember to switch it on. I can't say place names, I couldn't even say the Welsh for "please" at first. All basics to the rest on the course.
One lady on my course is pregnant and its odd to think her baby will be fluent before she is...
The Welsh class has given me an outlet, a day to escape, this happens on a Thursday and I am exhausted after being there from 9:15 to 15:00.
I am hoping to get back to Spalding next week. Nothing is certain as I am in the hands of the medical profession with my parents. But as I have a 'half term' holiday from my dosbarth Cymraeg, I am hoping to get there. I need to see Dandan's pix anyway.
My camera has hardly been used in months, so there is nothing to illustrate all this. Maybe I should photograph my Welsh class? Old Pix on Flickr
But, I will say that I am sort of settling into life on an island off the mainland of Wales. It has its good points, although I am still frustrated by the "Amser Cymraeg" that confronts me every time I try to get things done.
I had my car serviced and MOT'd this week. As it's only 3yrs old, I expected very little trouble. I had to have a new tyre, but that was all. I took the car in at 10:30 on a Wednesday and was expecting to pick it up at the end of the day. When they phoned at 5 and said it wasn't quite finished and that they needed it for an extra day. I was amazed. We argued. In the end I got a Citroen Saxa for the evening and the next day to go to Welsh classes. But the garage had just expected that I would be happy to extend my car's stay with them.. "Amser Cymraeg!"
I just have to accept all this now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



info on stats
 
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter