Moving on

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Life, Amlwch and PC

I have received an email complaining that I have not done a blog recently. It's not so easy now. Life is just not interesting enough, or that was what I thought.
I have been out trying to find shops for essentials. I have managed to find a bed in a warehouse where they all spoke Welsh first, but I soon changed that!
I visited Tescos and even Matalan in Bangor, it made me think I was near civilisation again.
I went exploring a small town nearby this afternoon. The town is called AMLWCH. It seems to be pronounced a bit like Am luck, but with a chhhh on the ck, a bit like they say in the Scottish loch.
Amlwch is a few miles away, it has my nearest bank. So I can see frequent visits to the hole in the wall will be needed. I thought I would venture there on a Saturday afternoon. This is usually a shopping time for us Brits.
NOT in AMLWCH.
Apart from a DIY shop and a flower shop. Everything shut at either 12 or 1pm. It was a ghost town. I saw some touristy shops, tea shops, Welsh crafts.. even a country and western shop, but all was shut.
I located my local pizza shop, it also does kebabs... but it was shut!
A few pubs were open, I could hear some of Live 8 drifting out of the doors, but I can see that I am going to save a fortune if I rely on that town. I may also starve.

I am now on a good net connection. I even got the PC online yesterday, so I can be online from 2 computers at once. I moved the PC down from the spare bedroom to the living room, and the desk too. A bit of a novelty, but after a while like that I switched off the PC and sat in the comfy chairs in conservatory with my iBook. The novelty of the view seems to be lasting longer.
The good weather has not continued, so no more early morning bike rides and no more horsefly bites either..
But I will try and get some more photos when the grey clouds clear.

The PC is becoming the pain I expected it to be. I updated Norton first, then I set it to update to SP2, overnight, then I had to redo Norton. Then Windows had extra updates. Then Norton wanted to do a few more, but sort of "failed" as something was missing. Then Windows decided to update and install 22 items at 00:54am I had just spent about 3hrs trying to update everything on it... and now it wants more??
None of this with a Mac!
And what is Symantec redirector? Because that needs updating before Norton will function now. Do PCers realise how much simpler life is without all this crap?

oh well...

I put some more photos on Flickr . I will try and paste them properly when I am awake more.

6 Comments:

  • One might think that a Starbucks a block away, packed with yuppies in their Rolex watches....would be preferable to what you are describing? That's what I have here....stores are always open too....but boutiques with most items with 3 digits, must have those hours. This ain't nirvana either! And restaurants...yes, but one must have a reservation -- and they are Kensington prices...for 3 sprigs of asparagus with hollandaise!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 03/07/2005, 03:21  

  • Chance, I would be happy just to be able to buy a decent loaf of bread.

    By Blogger Sheila, at 03/07/2005, 09:11  

  • OK..
    AMLWCH pronounced AMLOOCH, with the 'OO' as in LOOK, not as in LOOT. The 'CH' is as you said!

    Somewhere in the village is a shop that sells tickets for the Irish Lottery...this should tell you something about the local economy! (If you have any Euro's lurking in your purse/wallet/pocket, you should be able to spend them around the area.)

    Amlwch is, in fact, an extremely privileged place...it has a NHS dentist! Not too many places can say that round here these days...not that they have any vacancies for new patients - this is normal.

    2 computers at once? EEEEEK!!! My sister has become a nerd! And a masochistic one at that. (I think that means she can get into one Yahoo chat room with four different ID's...at the same time, so watch out, everyone!)

    Thanks for the link under 'PC'...I have just finished my breakfast...b*t*h!

    Regarding the "Symantec redirector", try Googling for it (including the speech marks), then you will know as much as I now do...not very much, but I didn't go too far down the list of results.

    Right...9.20am, and the news deliverer (formerly known as a paperboy) has still not shown up, so I'm off to look for him...with a 12 bore shotgun.

    BYYYEEE!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 03/07/2005, 09:25  

  • Thnx for your comments, Del. But I am nerdy enough that I googled symantec etc as soon as the message appeared. I have since downloaded a new live update thingy for Norton(good try, Beardy), and I still get the same frigging message.
    The verdict seems to be scrub out Norton and get AVG. Unless you know better.
    See ya

    By Blogger Sheila, at 03/07/2005, 10:59  

  • btw Chance,
    I have found a rather posh looking Italian restaurant, in a hotel. So that is one place I want to try out, if they are open...

    By Blogger Sheila, at 03/07/2005, 11:55  

  • Sheila it's paradise over there!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05/07/2005, 21:26  



<< Home



info on stats
 
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter