Moving on

Thursday, June 23, 2005

a Geography lesson

This blog is to keep a few people informed as to where I will be. I have realised a some people had no idea where even Wales was. When I have had people say "Wales is in England, isn't it?" and "Wales is what? is it a state?" and "what do you guys have for states?" I knew it was time to educate again.
I admit, I am constantly looking up where one state is compared to another, I have a road map of USA that I use too. I am prepared to learn. So here we go... this one is for you lot that have never set foot in the UK.


I am now still in Spalding, which is also so insignificant that its not labelled. Can you see a square-ish bite size bit of sea, due north of Cambridge? Spalding is a few miles to the left of that. That bit of sea (known as The Wash) is almost the same size as Anglesey... and almost straight across the UK. It takes me between 5 and 6hrs to drive across, there are no motorways that go on that route, although a few faster roads over in Wales (A55). We are used to being photographed for speeding, every few yards, with cameras sometimes sign posted and sometimes hidden. Very few people have not paid fines and had some kind of an endorsement on their driving license. If you get 12 endorsements you lose your driving license, and its 3 every time you get done for speeding.
A nice thing about this map is it tries to give you an idea of where the mountains are. Please note the difference in terrain, in Spalding its smooth.. as flat as a pancake.. the thin crepe ones... not a hill for miles...
Wales is covered in folds and lumps... bloody big mountains, compared to most of UK.

Does the above map make it clearer? Anglesey is in the box.

And this is the complete island.

2 Comments:

  • Heehee - thanks Sheila - I urge that nobody reading this should try to pronounce the welsh place names as written on the map of Anglesey while eating because they may choke :)

    If anyone who knows me is interested in my relative position from Sheila's locations, it can be approximately located by the intersection of a line down from the "d" in Cambridge and a line across to the right from the word "Pembrokeshire" ! I now imagine people putting rulers up against their computer screens to help with this task.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 23/06/2005, 19:55  

  • There are more Wallless around than one could imagine 5 of them in US, South New Wales in Australia and South Wales in Austria, and this is probably just beginning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 25/06/2005, 10:56  



<< Home



info on stats
 
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter