Moving on

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Beaumaris


I would have loved to have taken this picture, but its not mine, unfortunately.

When I was looking for a house on Anglesey, I had really got my eye on a town that I knew from a visit when I was 17yrs old. I sort of fell in love with Beaumaris then. But after hearing about some recent flooding, and also that the house prices had really shot up beyond what I was prepared to pay for a tiny terraced house, I gave up the hunt there.
But its been fun to pop in to Beaumaris and see how this nice town has changed. When I was 17, I went on holiday with a friend, Jill, and we slept in my car a lot, one night in the Anglesey Boat Company yard. It was a stoney, gravel car-park... with a view across the Menai straits, a few old boats around, lots of fishing boats..that was back in the 1970s.
Now, its so different, a shop, a garage, and yachts and more motor yachts... the rich and hope to be rich have a mooring here. I can't even be sure where the car park is now, and as for fishing boats... maybe there are a few... ?
Anglesey Boat Company now
Anglesey Boat Company in the future
Amazing how its changed...

Whenever any Brit tourist goes to the beach, we have to have ice-cream, even if the wind is blowing a gale and its pissing down with rain. I took this picture showing those mountains in background with this eyesore in-front. Beaumaris looking like any British seaside resort.

But just walk to the sea a little... turn cam to avoid the grockle stuff and I see this.

This is another view of Beaumaris, please note the George and Dragon which serves a good pint of Guinness and even has Scrumpy Jacks on draught (OK, Wops?)

Another view of the town showing the Castle at the end

2 Comments:

  • Thanks Kayo, you have no idea how gratifying it is to see comments here. I have to bully some people to even look at my blog, but you find it without even a nudge. I am also wondering how much icecream I will have to have to feel innocent again ;)
    hugs

    By Blogger Sheila, at 08/08/2005, 09:34  

  • Thanks Kayo (& Hi),
    I shall have a completely different experience of innocence next time I have ice cream after reading your comment :) Its so nice to hear from you.
    Great photos Sheila - hope the camera keeps working.
    Not much change here since my last email to you.
    Still not well enough to re-arrange my knee operation :(
    Take care & hi to all reading this.
    J.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 13/08/2005, 00:01  



<< Home



info on stats
 
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter